Vegetable fried grains. I bet you're thinking "Quoi?, Que?, What?!!" It's basically alternative fried rice. I know a lot of people that are done eating rice and I don't blame them. After all, variety is the spice of life! This recipe works with most grains and I'll update the photos as I try different ones. For now, I guarantee it works with quinoa and couscous.
I won't ramble on other than to say you can vary the vegetables and throw in courgettes or squash or aubergine. Have it warm or cold it's super tasty no matter what!
Recipe - Serves 1-2
1 cup grains (I used rice)
1 chicken or vegetable stock cube
1 tbsp oil
1/2 red onion, sliced
1 cup frozen mixed vegetables (carrots, peppers, sweetcorn, peas)
1/2 cup broccoli
1 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
- Make the grains according to the package instructions but with the addition of the stock cube dissolved in hot water.
- In a frying pan, heat the oil and add the onion and frankfurter and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the frozen vegetables and the broccoli and season with the salt, pepper and thyme and set aside until the grains are cooked.
- Once the grains are cooked, add them to the fried vegetables and frankfurter and mix well together then return to the heat for 5 minutes with the pan covered.
- Enjoy with fish, chicken, beef, prawns or mixed into a salad.