I've got a veggie dish! This one goes out to all the vegetarians that often get neglected with the Christmas menus. I apologise on behalf of my fellow meat eaters and here's a yummy and easy kale recipe to make you go mmmmm 😋
Remember that kale like spinach and most greens can be very deceptive and it's not until you've cooked it that you see how much yield there is so be generous!
5 large stalks of curly kale
1 large pointy pepper or 5 baby peppers
4 large mushrooms
2 spring onions
A large handful of cherry tomatoes
1 tbsp olive oil
Juice of half a lemon
salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse your vegetables and pat dry with paper towels.
- Slice the chilli, onions and peppers and set aside, Halve the cherry tomatoes and chop the mushrooms into thick pieces.
- Chop up the kale starting by stripping the leaves from the spine as the spine of the leaf tends to be very tough and usually is best boiled rather than sautéed.
- Place a medium sized pot or saucepan on the hob and add the oil to it and heat on medium.
- Add the sliced chilli, onions and peppers to the pot and sauté for 5 mins.
- Add the mushrooms and the cherry tomatoes and season generously with salt, pepper and lemon juice and stir together then leave to cook with the lid on for 2 minutes.
- Add the kale to the pan and mix all the pot;s contents together. At the beginning it'll look as though the pot is about to overflow as it cooks, the kale will shrink and get to be a darker green,
- Continue to stir for it to cook for about 2 minutes before turning off the heat and leaving to stand with the lid on for a further 2 minutes before serving.