I'm reallly annoyed that my post from yesterday has gotten lost somewhere in cyberspace! As it's the first time, I'll forgive six but let's hope I don't have to really start searching for a new host 2 months into my subscription!
Rant aside, here's the recipe. 2 key things, you've got to grill the aubergine briefly before adding the mozzarella and the option to add some deli meats for the meat-eaters because let's face it, I'm the worst when it comes to meatless meals!
1 medium-sized aubergine
cherry tomatoes (1 for each slice of aubergine) - picanto peppers are a great alternative
8 Fresh parsley leaves
salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the grill to 220°C.
- Slice the aubergines into 1 inch thick discs and sprinkle some salt and pepper on them then place on a baking tray and slide under the grill for a minute.
- Remove the baking tray from the oven and turn over the aubergines so they're cold side up.
- Place a couple of parsley leaves on each slice of aubergine and top with slices of mozzarella.
- Slide back under the grill until the cheese is melted then top each slice with 2 halves of tomato and return to the grill until the tomatoes are wrinkly.
- Sprinkle with some chilli or paprika if you want a little more flavour.