I usually stick to rosemary, garlic and paprika as the main seasonings for a lamb dinner but I love the smell of fresh parsley and oregano and I like a low salt option too which my usual recipe isn't 😊.
My trusted source a.k.a. google confirmed that 100g sweet potato contains about 20g of carbohydrates so this is in line with any low carb needs one might have not to mention... this is a totally gluten free meal. Hurrah for the coeliacs! This recipe takes about 20mins prep and 20mins cook time so you can prepare ahead and double or triple up the recipe for dinner parties and start the cooking when your guests arrive.
Ingredients - Serves 2
6 lamb cutlets
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 finely chopped chilli -choose according to your tolerance and leave out the seeds if you're a chilli wimp
3 large garlic cloves
1 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
1 low salt chicken stock cube
1 tsp pink salt
1/2 tsp garlic salt
200g sweet potato
1 small onion per person, peeled and quartered
2 baby courgettes per person
1/4 chopped yellow pepper
2 corn on cob
- Start by peeling the sweet potatoes then chopping them into medium sized cubes then set aside in a small saucepan. Rinse the corn and ensure all hairs are discarded then set on top of the sweet potato in the saucepan.
- Rinse the asparagus and trim the ends by about 1/4 inch then rinse and halve the baby courgettes vertically and set these aside as well.
- Quarter the onions and set aside with the asparagus and courgettes.
- Peel 3 garlic cloves and chop finely then chop the chilli finely also and add to the garlic in a small bowl.
- Add the stock cube, paprika, oregano, parsley, lemon juice and 2 tbsp of olive oil to the bowl and mix together until well combined.
- Pat the lamb cutlets dry with a paper towel then brush with the sauce and set aside for a few minutes.
- Add 2 cups of water and a tsp salt to the sweet potato and corn and boil for 8 minutes then remove the corn and leave to boil for a further 6 minutes.
- Brush a griddle pan or an ordinary frying pan with the remaining oil then add a sprig of rosemary, the chopped yellow pepper and the remaining half piece of garlic, smashed with the side of a knife to the pan. Once it starts to sizzle, place the lamb into the pan one at a time making sure to push them down to get a good sear on them.
- Fry the lamb for 4 mins on each side (6mins on each side for no pink) and then transfer to the same plate as the corn and leave in a warm oven whilst you prepare the vegetables.
- Add the asparagus, courgettes, second rosemary sprig and onions to the pan and sprinkle over with garlic salt and fry for 3mins before turning off the heat.
- Strain the sweet potato and serve on warm plates with the meat and vegetables.
-Voila! Remember that portion control is key and men need more calories than women so you can cater to that with the sweet potato portions.